Sunday, October 12, 2008

Recipes from Grannie!

Well, I decided to preserve some of my recipes forever! I won't mention names, but there is one family member I have to call to get recipes I have lost. My friend, Berb, always kidded me about my recipes. I don't know why I have such a hard time filing them, but I guess I need to go to a 12-step program on saving recipes! So, occasionally I will post one that is really good.

I am going to Weight Watchers again, and have gotten some great recipes there. If they are not good, I won't post them. Even though the following soup recipe is a WW recipe, I have given the recipe to so many people who have given it to others. It is great and really smells good!

Here it is:

Weight Watchers Bean Soup
In a large crockpot, cook 1 onion chopped, and 1 pound of ground turkey. (We don't like that, so I use the leanest ground beef I can find.)
When it is browned, add the following: 1 large can of crushed tomatoes (tip: I found them for $1 at the Dollar Tree)
1 can of chili (I use the Nalley's Onion Chili)
4 cans of beans, any kind you want (I usually use black, kidney, pinto, white, red, etc.)
1 can of butter beans (for those of you with Winco, their store brand is about 60 cents a can, very cheap)
add 2 crushed garlic cloves
add 1 T brown sugar (I use 2 T of the splenda brown sugar blend)
Stir well and let it cook on low all day. This makes a large amt. of soup.
If you do WW, it is 2 points per cup.
CHICKEN SALAD
1 qt. cold cooked chicken ½ cup chopped green pepper ½ cup grated onion 2 cups grapes 2 cups chopped apples 2 cans pineapple chunks, drained 1 ½ cups cashews ¼ cup pimiento 1 cup coleslaw dressing 1 cup mayo (I use fat free or low fat) 2 cups water chestnuts 2 cups chopped celery salt/pepper to taste 2 cups uncooked macaroni (which you cook first!!) Mix all together. Yum.
This makes a lot of salad!! I have had the recipe for years. Not too long after we moved to Beaverton, our stake RS hosted a women's conference and luncheon. Barbara Smith, the general RS president attended. We served this salad, rolls, and some dessert. I remember I was newly pregnant with one of the kids (I think it was Becky) and had terrible morning sickness so was not feeling the greatest. I was on the committee to fix it, and that was fine, but I was not sure I could eat it, but I actually could eat it without problems!!

6 comments:

Jessica said...

Good idea Mom! I need to call you and see how you're doing! We got snow...but it didn't stick. The ground is too warm I think. You would be excited though.

Rebecca said...

My stomach hurts from just reading your recipe.

Grannie said...

Well, this is NOT the 42 bean soup that Jason and you had trouble with!! This is great.. STephen loves it! Whatever he loves, you know has to be good.

It tastes even better the second day.

Rachel said...

its the GREATEST SOUP EVER!! i can actually make it and freeze it and eat it later...i usually hate eating freezer foods..but this is good!

Grannie said...

Jean LOL'd at Becky's comment. I told her the soup is GOOD and does not give people problems!!!

Rachel said...

yep i've shared the bean soup. Its yummy! i'll have to try the chicken salad